Saturday 6 July 2024

Friday - This was a red letter day for me because one of my students from last time was coming all the way from the other side of Lilongwe especially to visit me. As a student she was a hard worker and also had excellent relationships both with colleagues and children. After i came home she worked at Mother Teresa for a year or so before moving on to work for another NGO. Currently she is working with the children of refugees, mostly from the Congo. I arranged the afternoon off and went into Beehive in the morning with one target in mind. Circulate the minutes of the CUNIMA meeting, talk to the head of Mary Queen of Peace and get him on side about speeding up the application for affiliation, inform the committee, make an appointment with the registrar etc etc. Having done this I spent an hour or so with the Practice Leader finding out more about how she does her job, and checking up on progress with the dreaded resources room. Then I set off for Mitsidi to spend an afternoon with my ex-student. Sadly I had been home only about half an hour when I received a message to say the bus had broken down the far side of Lungu and she was stranded, waiting for a replacement bus. To cut a long story short she arrived about 5.30pm and to my astonishment she had two little children with her. I had no idea she had children, both boys, one nearly 4 and one 8 months. The poor woman had been travelling all day and was exhausted and hungry. She had only half an hour before she had to leave for a relative’s home and get the children to bed. She was so happy to see me, and I her. She was smiling all over her face and I was not far from tears, she was so positive about what the Beehive Training had done for her and grateful to David and to me. We made an arrangement to meet again in the morning and I cannot wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment