Saturday 2 October 2010

Party

00.20 am Sunday 3 October
 


I am just home after an amazing farewell party in the cellar at Take 5I so nearly didn't have a party, but Kathy persuaded me and I am so glad that she did.  There are not many occasions in life when so many people are gathered together and the only thing that links them all together is you.  Over the last few days I have been feeling a bit sad that I am to leave so many good friends behind but tonight I just feel glad that I know you all and that you cared enough to come and give me a splendid send off.  Kathy organised a notebook for people to write me messages and I have been so touched sitting here in my study and reading what you all have to say to meI am indeed blessed with a collection of extraordinary friends, interesting and stimulating people.  I must be bonkers to leave you all behind!  However as many of you said tonight, 18 months is not really all that long and I shall be back before we know it!  Thankyou for all your good wishes.  I shall try to live up to the image that comes out of your collected messages, but I am sure that it will be very difficult, you have all been so very kind!  The word that pops up again and again in your messages is 'Adventure' and I am sure that that is exactly what I shall have.  When George sent me the volunteers' contract she wrote ' I am sure you will enjoy your African adventure'.  It does feel like an adventure although in this modern world nowhere is very far away really I suppose.  This is only the second time in my life I have ever left Europe behind.  Ten days in China made a fantastic holiday but I am sure that even that will pale into insignificance beside the chance to live and work alongside local people in 'the warm heart of Africa' which is the way Malawi is often described.  Other key words that you wrote for me include 'friendship', 'warmth', 'women', 'lucky' ,'fantastic' ,'experience', 'Africa', 'strength',  'laughter' and 'love'.  A pretty good selection I reckon!  What could go wrong....!  You all encouraged me with your lovely messages so that excitement is beginning to outstrip anxiety again!  One of you made me cry, you know who you are Babe!  Next time I write I shall probably be in Africa... Fancy that!

No comments:

Post a Comment